Toggle Index/Transcript View Switch.
Search this Transcript

Georgeanna "Anna" (Blazzard) Jennings was interviewed on June 14, 1968 in St. George, Washington County, Utah by Fielding H. Harris, a representative of the Voices of Remembrance Foundation. She related her personal history of living in various parts of Utah, Idaho, California and Nevada.

FH:Would you please give your full name?

GJ:[My name is] Georgeanna (Blazzard) Jennings.

FH:[What is] your birth date?

GJ:[I was born] July 15, 1892.

FH:[What was] your place of birth?

GJ:[I was born in] Washington [City, Washington County] Utah.

FH:What was your father's name?

GJ:[His name was] Thomas Blazzard.

FH:What was your mother's [full] name?

GJ:[Her name was] Eliza Melzena (Averett) [Blazzard].

FH:What was your first childhood recollection?

GJ:I was born in a little adobe house just north of the [LDS] chapel in Washington [City]. I was one of nine children. I had a twin brother [George A. 00:01:00Blazzard]. We had a sister [Ruth Blazzard] and a brother [John "Jack" Ezra Blazzard] younger than we [were]. The rest were older. One sister [Genette Effie] older than I [am] is alive, one sister [Ruth] younger and the youngest brother [John "Jack" Ezra] are all that is left of our family. When I was between six and seven years of age, my father [purchased] a farm about five miles south of Washington [City] and we moved on this farm in June 1899, I 00:02:00believe it was. My youngest brother [John "Jack" Ezra] was born in September after we moved out there in June. I don't know how mother dared to move out there in that condition, but anyhow she did.

FH:Did they have doctors and midwives available?

GJ:Yes. They went to town [for] old Sister Barron. She was a midwife and delivered most of mother's children.

FH:What else do you remember about those early times?

GJ:As [children], we used to swim or paddle in the canal. I don't know whether you [would] call it swimming or not, but [we] played in it. We used to ride horses. We milked the cows and [did] everything on the farm that we could do to 00:03:00help. We enjoyed it. We had lots of people from St. George and Washington [City who] would come to see us and eat the melons we would grow. We thought it was wonderful.

FH:It probably was! What were the school conditions?

GJ:We moved to town in September at the start of school. My oldest sister would keep house for us.

FH:What town?

GJ:[It was] in Washington [City]. My mother and dad owned a little house there. It wasn't the one I was born in, but they owned another one there. We would move [and] live [there] to go to school. On Friday night they would come for us and we would go the farm and stay until Sunday. They would bring us back Sunday so 00:04:00we [could] go to school. I went to school that way until I [was] out of the eighth grade. One of my teachers in the elementary school [who] I especially remember, my first school teacher, was Annie Sproul at that time. That was her name [at that time]. I thought she was wonderful. I loved her all the rest of my life because I enjoyed her so much in [the] first grade. After I graduated from [the] eighth grade I came to St. George and went through four years of high school.


My twin brother [and I] were born on July 15, 1892. He was killed [on July 30, 1910]. He fell off the mare. He was roping a calf and the horse tripped over the rope and fell and it killed him. That September I came here to high school and went to the Woodward High [School]. The Woodward School was teaching the high school [classes] then and I [had] one year there. They had the St. George Academy partly built. They worked on it all winter, but we went to school in it anyway. I [went to] my other three years of high school [at the St. George Academy]. It was later [changed] to Dixie College, but when I [attended], it was called the St. George Academy.

FH:Did you get a diploma from high school?


GJ:Yes. Then the summer following my graduation, I went to summer school at the University of Utah [Salt Lake City, Salt Lake County, Utah] and [studied] some pedagogy and nature study and a few [subjects] we didn't have in high school. I [received] a temporary certificate to teach. It wasn't a permanent one, just temporary. I taught two years in Washington [City], Utah. After the second year I decided that I would work during the summer and then go to school in the fall. 00:07:00I went down to Overton, Nevada to work in a drugstore. I didn't stay too long and that is where I met my husband.

FH:What church activity did you have during those early years?

GJ:We lived out on [the] farm and it was only five miles from Washington [City], but that was a long way when you [traveled by] horse and buggy. We went home on Friday nights, much of the time in the winter, and they always had Primary on Saturday so I had to miss it. We [were] there sometimes for Sunday school. but 00:08:00not all the time. Then during the week I could go to Mutual [Improvement Association]. I can remember that. I didn't get to Primary and Sunday school as much as I would like to have.

FH:You had a handicap [with the] distance.

GJ:It really was at that time. I don't think people with cars would make a much bigger effort today to get to those [meetings].

FH:What do you remember about your father and your grandparents?

GJ:My Grandmother [Nancy Ann (Turnbaugh)] Averett was a big heavy woman. I never did see my other grandparents. They both died before I was born so I never did know too much about them. My Grandmother Averett was a big heavy woman. I 00:09:00remember, so well, seeing her go to [The] Church [of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] on Sunday dressed up in her calico dress. She would always put on a white apron. It had knit lace that she had knitted herself on the bottom of it ─ maybe six inches wide. She was really dressed up when she [put] her lovely apron on and went to church. Of course, she had to walk. She had to walk three or four blocks, I guess, to [church]. She was a big heavy woman. I am sure it was a real effort for her.

I can't remember much about my grandfather [George Washington Gill Averett]. He 00:10:00died when I was between nine and ten years of age so I don't remember much about him. He was a good man and liked to write up genealogy. He had a little office in his home and spent a lot time in that office writing up genealogy. We [have] the books, some of them and they have helped us a lot in getting history and [other information].

They came from Illinois out here to Utah. They lived in Washington [City]. When my mother was a small [child], her parents moved to Arizona. I don't remember how old she was. Where they moved to was called Layton at that time. My 00:11:00grandfather had traded his place over here to a man for a place in Layton. When they [arrived] down there, the man had misrepresented it to them and so they didn't feel too good about it. They stayed there two years and then they moved back to Washington [City] and spent the rest of their lives there.

Before my grandfather married, he went on [a] gold rush when they found gold in California. He went down to [California] and he had a brother [who] went [with] the Mormon Battalion. I don't know how long he spent [looking for gold]. I guess 00:12:00he made some money, but he [became] sick. A lot of [the [prospectors] did. They didn't have [the right food that] they should have had to eat. He decided to go back home. He went by boat clear down around -- I don't know whether they had to go clear around South America or not. When he [came] back he came up the Mississippi [River], I guess, and some of his folks went to meet him. He left the boat and [they] took him home on horseback. He [came] home empty handed. He 00:13:00hadn't gained a dime. He went down there thinking he would.

FH:Was he sick when he [came] home?

GJ:No, I don't believe so. I don't know [about] that part, really.

FH:What do you remember about your mother?

GJ:My grandfather was a good writer. He spelled a lot of words like they sounded. We have been able to decipher it and have a lot of history from the records that he made. He had a little horse and a cart. I can just see him in that little cart. He came to our farm once in awhile and visited with us with 00:14:00that one horse and his cart. He had some lots down below town and always had some cows [that he] would take down there to pasture. He would go back and forth to get these cows. They had a lot full of all kinds of fruit trees. I can remember so well when I was a small [child] of us going out and picking the gooseberries, pears and apples. They always had their own chickens and grandmother had some hives of bees. I can remember seeing her put on her cap and 00:15:00going down [to] get honey out of those hives. Nobody else would dare to get near them, but she knew what to do [and] would go get honey from the beehives.

FH:Did that help in their living?

GJ:Yes, it did. They had to grow practically everything they [ate]. They didn't have any other way of getting it. That was some of my mother's background. My father's father came from England. He was the only one of the Blazzard family that we know of. When we hear the word Blazzard we always think it is somebody [who] is related to us because we didn't know of any others. There are not too many. He lived in Salt Lake [City, Salt Lake County, Utah]. He was a brewer in 00:16:00England [and] came to Salt Lake [City] and practiced that trade. He said Orson Hyde and a lot of [the] church authorities had come from England. They were used to drinking beer in England. He made the beer for them and they used it a lot. He became quite a wealthy man. He owned a lot of property in Salt Lake [City].

[This] is the story we always heard: my grandmother told him if he married into polygamy she would leave him. He had married my grandmother in Winter Quarters [in Omaha, Nebraska]. It is possible [they married in] Nauvoo [Illinois]. I wouldn't say for sure which [place]. She was a widow and had four children --two 00:17:00boys and two girls ─ [that] was what my dad always told us. They stayed in Winter Quarters for awhile, [then] they were on their way to Utah. He was a good wheelwright, so the church authorities had him fix wagons. Every now and then he would get a good outfit [team] fixed up for himself. He was going to go on to Utah, [but] some of the authorities would want [the outfit] so he let them have it. Then he would fix up another one. It took several years before he got away from [Winter Quarters] to come to Utah.

I don't remember exactly what year they came to Utah, but it must have been in the early 1850s. My dad was born in Salt Lake [City] August 14, 1857. He was a 00:18:00small boy when his mother left grandpa.

FH:[Did] she leave him over polygamy?

GJ:Yes. From the records that we have unearthed since then, we know she was living with him a year after he had married into polygamy. Whether that was exactly the cause or not, we [don't] know for sure. He had seven wives all told, but he didn't have them all at one time. He only had children by our grandmother and one other Davis woman [who] had a family. He might have had one or two by some other woman. That is all the children that he had. She came down to 00:19:00southern Utah to [the] town of Washington [City].

FH:[Did she come down] by herself?

GJ:No. She married another man [George Pectrol] before she came. He had some children and she had some children. She came down to Washington [City] and evidently hadn't been there too long when he died so she was left alone again. She worked in [the] Cotton Factory in Washington [City]. She worked there for a long time. Then she moved with her family out to what they called Long Valley, 00:20:00Mt. Carmel, this side of Orderville [Kane County, Utah]. She lived there for some years, [but] I don't know how long. She [moved] back [to] Washington [City], died there and is buried there. My mother and dad were married before she died. Mother remembers her.

FH:Did [your parents] live in Washington [City] also?

GJ:Yes. My mother and dad lived there until [after] they had two children [Tom and Nancy Blazzard]. When my grandparents moved to Arizona, my mother and dad moved with them. One of their children [Nellie May Blazzard] was born [in Arizona]. Then they [returned] to Washington [City] and lived there until they 00:21:00moved to the farm. They spent the rest of their lives there.

FH:What did you do when you were growing up to have a good time?

GJ:We used to swim or paddle in the canal. There was a canal of water for irrigation of the farms. We used to swim there a lot. I can remember it so well. Sometimes, when the water came down that canal would be just like rolling mud, especially if they had had a storm anywhere north [of the canal]. It was so 00:22:00muddy! They would run that [water] on the farms and [thought] it was good for [the ground and] fertilized [it]. They [thought] that muddy water was good for their farms. Sometimes when it would run out on a bare place of ground, the next day it would dry out and crack. We would make mud dishes out of [the] clay. I can remember playing [in it]. There were days and days and days that we used to play with that clay. That was when we were [younger] children.

We [had] to make our own entertainment. We didn't have any of the things they have now-a-days to entertain us. It was make your own.


FH:Do you remember some of the games you played?

GJ:We used to play ball a lot [and] we played marbles.

FH:Were you [fairly] good at marbles?

GJ:[Laughter] I can't say yes to that! I don't know. My oldest brother-in-law used to win all the [children's] marbles at school. One time he played marbles with some boys after school and won their marbles. The next day the boy told the principal about it and the principal punished him for it. He took him upstairs and locked him in the closet. He was just drastic with him because he had won this [boy's] marbles and it was after school. It wasn't when the principal should have had any jurisdiction, but he took it anyhow. [Laughter] I [have] always remembered that.


FH:He thought he shouldn't play for keeps. Did you ever do any dancing?

GJ:When I was grown, we did. We used to have dances [at] certain times, especially [during] the Christmas holidays, the Fourth of July and the Twenty-fourth of July. We used to look forward to those [events] from one year to the other. We walked everywhere we went. Sometimes we would get a rain during the day; then you would have to walk so many blocks to get to the dance and wade across the streets in the mud. I can remember how they would have to stop the dance at a certain point and sweep the floor to get the dust and the sand out that would come off of people's shoes.


FH:What kind of music did you have?

GJ:They would have a violin and a piano or organ. We used an organ at first and a mandolin. Another man would play a mandolin. I think that was about all they would have [most of the time]. Later, they began to have better music.

FH:Can you describe some of the dancing? What was it like?

GJ:Mostly, we waltzed, [did the] schottische, two-stepped and quadrilles.


FH:Did you like music?

GJ:When I was a [child] I don't believe there was anybody living [who] wanted to learn to play the piano more than I did. I really wanted to play. It did me good to get anywhere I could be near a piano or an organ. My folks bought an organ later in years, but it wasn't too long before I was away from home so I didn't get to take advantage of that. I even used to dream about it. I wanted to play a piano so bad! I always have made myself think that I probably could have played to some extent, at least, if I had had the opportunity.

FH:What kind of music do you enjoy?

GJ:I like to sing [songs] that have [a] melody, the old songs that we used to 00:27:00enjoy so much. I still do. I don't like a lot of [these] modern [songs], especially [the] teenage [music]. It just does something to me. [Laughter] I don't know just what, [but] I don't know how anybody can call it music!

FH:What do you like to read?

GJ:I have always liked to read. When I was in school I was always considered a good reader. I always liked to read. I like history. I was a great hand, as I 00:28:00grew older, to read [books where] I could get information that would enlighten me. I didn't want to read novels and stories. That didn't appeal to me [too] much. I wanted to read [books] that I felt like [would] educate me.

FH:Did this [reading] help you in your life?

GJ:I am sure it has. I still like to [read] magazines and [books where] I can get information. I take US News and World Report and [magazines] like that. I don't take magazines that [have] love stories. They don't appeal to me at all.


FH:Tell about your courtship and marriage.

GJ:After I taught school two years, I decided I would go to school in the fall. I went to work during the summer down [in] Overton, Nevada. That was in the days when transportation was still -- I don't know what word to use.

FH:In other words, was it a long trip down to Overton?

GJ:It really was. My father and mother took me down to Mesquite [Nevada] in a white-top buggy. I don't believe we made [the trip] all in one day. I think we had to camp somewhere on the way and then [go] on the next [day]. I [traveled] 00:30:00what they called the mail stage from there over to Moapa [Nevada]. That took all day long to get over there. They had a motor car of some sort. There was a spur or branch of the railroad that went from Moapa down to St. Thomas [Nevada] down through Moapa valley. I went down on this motor [car] to Overton where I was going to work.

I stayed there and worked in [the] drugstore. I only stayed there for about three weeks, as I remember. Then I went up the valley and worked for another family for a few weeks. When I first [came] to Overton, I [arrived] there on Wednesday or somewhere in the middle of the week. I had a friend there [who] had 00:31:00gone to school up here with me, Jess Whipple, [whom] I knew. He had gone to school and he had been to our place. He was a good friend. He was down in the valley, and my husband [Lloyd Berdell Jennings] and [Jess] came in the drugstore. Jess brought him in to meet me. That was on Saturday night after I had [arrived] there. I went with him the rest of the time that I was down there.

In July, I came back home [and] we corresponded. It was just horse and buggy days, yet, to go from here to there. He went up the state somewhere to his hometown. He was born and raised in Levan [Juab County], Utah. He went up there 00:32:00and on his way back he stopped off in Washington [City] to see me. That was maybe in August. I won't say for sure. We corresponded all the time and in October we were married. He came up from [the] valley [where] he was staying. He and his brother [Lester Jennings] went down there [to] grow cantaloupes. That was quite an industry at that time to grow those cantaloupes and ship them out. That is what they were doing there. When he came up to marry me, he came up on an old buckboard with a horse and mule, he says! [Laughter] I [don't] remember [if] there was a horse and mule. [Laughter] I thought there were two horses.


[Lloyd Berdell and Georgeanna (Blazzard) Jennings were married October 20, 1916 in St. George, Washington County, Utah.]

After we were married, we put all my possessions in this buckboard and went back 00:34:00down to Overton. We spent the first year and a half of our married life in Overton. Our first boy, [Lloyd] Leon [Jennings], was born [while we were] there.

Well, he wasn't born there, I came up here and stayed at my mother's place on the farm and he was born there.

FH:Then did you go back?


GJ:Yes. I did stay here for a few weeks until [the baby] was born. [I] went back and we spent the first year and a half of our married life there. Then we left and the next place we lived was in Salt Lake [City]. We lived in Salt Lake [City] for maybe a year and a half. Our next [child, a] daughter [Lois Jennings] was born in Salt Lake [City].


FH:What was your husband doing in Salt Lake?

GJ:He went up there to work for wages and worked for the American Express Company for $85.00 a month. We were trying to buy a new home, with that $85.00. We had to be [very] careful! [This] was in 1918. We moved into this little house November 15, 1918. The flu [influenza epidemic] was all over the country at that time. His mother [Ane Margrethe (Anderson) Jennings] lived in Levan and we went up that far. He left me there and went on to Salt Lake [City]. He had a brother 00:36:00living in Salt Lake [City]. His mother and father [Alexander Jennings] were separated and his father was [living] in Salt Lake [City]. His father was sort of dealing in real estate. He got us this little house and we were paying so much a month on the house. We [acquired] some furniture and were paying so much a month on it, trying to live on the rest of [the money] and had a baby in the meantime. [Laughter]

He had a brother [Julian Jennings] living in Idaho and he wanted us to come up there. He was working on a sheep ranch. It was a big ranch [with] a lot of sheep and he had quite a few men employed. It would take a lot [of men] to take care of all the sheep. We went up there and my husband hauled hay all through the winter in the snow.

FH:What part of Idaho?

GJ:It was around Burley, Idaho. Delco [Idaho] was the little town we were 00:37:00nearest [to] and that was east of Burley.

FH:How long did you stay there?

GJ:We had our second daughter [Helen Jennings] while we were living there. When she was between six and seven months old, I [had] appendicitis and had to have an operation. Her dad's brother's wife took care of Helen. I stayed in the 00:38:00hospital for one month, the [whole] month of September.

FH:Where was the hospital you were in?

GJ:It was across the [Snake] River from Burley. I believe it was Rupert, Idaho. I was in the hospital all through September. Then, in November, the banks all closed up all over the country. Money was so tied up that we couldn't see any future to staying there. We were living on a farm [and] the farm belonged to his uncle, his mother's brother. It was a good farm. We grew lots of potatoes, lots 00:39:00of hay and grain, but you couldn't give it away. There was no money. We traded our furniture in the house for an old Ford car. I don't know whether it was a pickup in the beginning or whether they made it into a pickup. We loaded [laughter] our bedding in the trunk, a few things in the back of the old pickup and came back to Utah. We came back here to my folks and then he went down to [the] White Star [Plaster Mill] gypsum plant. It is right on the highway [in 00:40:00Moapa Valley, Nevada] as you are going from here to [Las] Vegas [Nevada]. It is not running now, but it did for a few years, at least.

We lived there for a couple of years and we had our second boy while we lived there. That [was] our fourth child. My husband was the foreman of [part] of [the] White Star Plaster Mill. We decided to give that up and he moved me back here to St. George, and I lived in St. George for awhile. Later, we left here and moved to a gypsum plant down in San Bernardino County, California. [It was in] a little town on the railroad called Amboy [California]. We lived there for several years.


Before we moved there, though, my husband went [to California] and worked for awhile and [came down with] typhoid fever while he was there. All the water they used for culinary purposes was shipped in on the train. He [had] typhoid fever so I went down on the train and brought him back here. He stayed here for a month or two, until he [recovered]. Then he took me and the family and moved [us] to Amboy.

FH:Did he go back to his job?

GJ:Yes, [and] we lived there for several years. We moved from there to Wilmington, California, on the coast. He had two brothers [Leo and Kenneth Jennings] living there. They were in the insurance [business] and wanted him to 00:42:00come and try that. So he went there and worked in [insurance] for awhile. We moved there in August and stayed until the next August, and the [following] March we moved back to Las Vegas.

FH:Did he quit the insurance business?

GJ:Yes. After he [went] to [Las] Vegas, he [began] working around on carpentry [jobs] and finally took up contracting [for] himself. That is where he first got --

FH:Were you in [Las] Vegas about the time [inaudible]?

GJ:We moved to Las Vegas in March of 1928.

FH:Was that about coincident with the building of [Hoover] Dam?

GJ:Yes. When we [arrived] they were just starting to build the spur of the 00:43:00railroad from the main line to Boulder City [Nevada]. Legislation was going on about the dam and so they built [the railroad] spur out there. We were [in] Boulder City when there was just one little depot building -- just one little square frame building [about] a fourth of this room or half of it, anyway. That was the depot. That is where they had taken the railroad to [and] before they 00:44:00had ever done anything with the dam.


FH:How long were you there? Where [did] you move from there?

GJ:We rented a little house and lived in it. His brother was living [in] what they called the west side, west of the railroad tracks. This brother had bought this place and had several acres of ground. He let us have an acre of this ground [and] we built a house on it. He [Lloyd Berdell] went out [to] the railroad tracks and gathered up ties and brought them in. [His] brother helped him and together they built [our] house. We decided we would make our home there 00:45:00forever. We lived in the house a few years [and] we sold it and went out [to] a ranch. [We] lived on this ranch maybe a couple of years. It was owned by [United States] Senator Key Pittman [of Nevada]. Our youngest son, Dr. Richard [Carl] Jennings was born on this ranch. [It was] was about eight miles south of Las Vegas.

We lived there for some time and [Lloyd Berdell] was doing contracting work 00:46:00around [the area]. We had a [small] frame house that we were living in and it caught fire and burned [down]. We gathered up what we had that we thought was of any value. We had a storage house to the side of it and it had some of our [possessions] in it, [but] it burned. So, we moved to St. George. That was in July of 1933. Next month, [July 1968] we will have lived here thirty-five years.

FH:What did [your husband] do here?

GJ:When we first came here, we rented [a] café. It is called Dick's Café now. It was just a little two-room shack. We rented and ran it for two years. We didn't know a café from a barn, hardly!

FH:Did you run it or did your husband run it?

GJ:I did about as much of [the work] as he did.


FH:From what he said, you get the credit for it.

GJ:I did the cooking! [Laughter] We ran [the café] for a couple of years. In the meantime, we bought a lot east of the café on the highway and built a [motor] court on it. We started with one cabin and kept adding to until we had ten or twelve [cabins]. He and [Lloyd] Leon started up [a] contracting business. Leon wasn't old enough to do too much but he was with him from the start. They 00:48:00[were] building houses here. [There are] a lot of houses and buildings in this town that [they] built.

As the business grew, he [Lloyd Berdell] decided to do some civil aeronautics work. He [started] contracting some of their work and it took him all over California, Wyoming and Idaho.

FH:Did he grow into this business? Was it electrical and radar installations?

GJ:Yes, and instrument landings at the airports. He did that for a few years. I don't remember just how long. He finally gave that up. I guess outside of our 00:49:00[motor] court, he didn't do too [many] other things after he quit that CAA [Civil Aeronautics Administration] work. We finally sold the [motor] court and built this home here and moved here in 1955 or 1956.

FH:You have a lovely home. Would you tell about each one of your children?

GJ:[Lloyd] Leon is our oldest boy. Leon will turn fifty-one years old this coming August. He married Annie McArthur [and] they have five children. All [of 00:50:00their children] are married but the youngest boy [who] is seventeen [years old]. He just graduated from high school. Two of Leon's sons-in-law [Paul Peterson and Walter Rice] are getting their doctorate degrees right now.

FH:[Will they be] medical doctors?

GJ:No. One is in chemistry and the other is in agriculture. That was [Margery Jennings] Leon's oldest daughter. His oldest son [Mansfield Jennings] is the manager of the J & J Mill and Lumber Company that Leon owns. I don't know whether he is the full manager or not. I guess Leon does much of the managing 00:51:00himself, but he runs the office. Mansfield is married and has two little boys. They had a third baby girl last fall, [but] it [only] lived two days. That was our eighth great-grandchild. Leon's oldest daughter has three children, this son has two [children], and their youngest daughter [Marie Jennings] is married and has two children. That makes seven living great-grandchildren.

[Lloyd] Leon's second [son] [John Jennings] is a dentist and is in Viet Nam at the present time. In August he [will] have [served] his year. We hope that he 00:52:00will live that long and come back.

FH:Is he working as a dentist over there?

GJ:Yes. That is all he has done there, work as a dentist. There is a branch of The Church [of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints] there and he is active in that, all he can be. Since they have given [United States] Army all this trouble in Viet Nam he has had to go back and forth from his office to the base where he practices, in armored convoys. He has to carry a pistol. He said, "I have never had to use it yet and I hope I never do." He is supposed to have it handy [while working]. Their youngest son [Gilbert Jennings] will start to college this fall.

Our next [child] was Lois [Jennings]. She and her husband lived in St. George 00:53:00for awhile. They didn't have any children so they adopted three children.

FH:What is her husband's name?

GJ:[His name is] Hamblin Bracken [and] is a grandson of Jacob Hamblin. He went into insurance work and moved to Las Vegas. He has been in insurance work all the time they have been down there [for the past] ten or twelve years.

The next daughter is Helen [Jennings]. She lives in California and has three children.

FH:Where [does she live] in California?

GJ:She lives in La Canada, California.


FH:What is her husband's name?

GJ:[His name is Robert] "Bob" Duff. He holds down a job with an engineering [company], I cannot tell you [the name of the company]. He is over the blueprints. "Bob" is a very dependable [and] thorough fellow. He doesn't have to do anything [over]. He does it and does it right. [He is] held in high esteem because he is that type of a fellow. He has been working for this [company and] does printing [jobs] on the side. He went to night school and learned to be a 00:55:00printer. He is [also] an artist. He painted these two pictures over here. Every picture they [have] in their house, he painted. The last few years he has been too busy to paint so he doesn't get to do [much] any more. He goes to [his] office [and] comes home in the evening, has his dinner, and then goes to his office and prints until maybe midnight ─ night after night. He is killing himself working.

FH:He has a vocation and an avocation! [Laughter]

GJ:Yes. He is a fine man. He has never joined our church, but we keep hoping that he will. He would make a wonderful Latter-day Saint.


FH:Is he one of those dry land Mormons?

GJ:I don't know what you [would] call him, but anyhow he is a good [fellow]. He is a very honest [and] capable man.

FH:All he needs is baptism.

GJ:That is all. He wants his children brought up in the church. Helen is active [and] is always working in the MIA [Mutual Improvement Association], Primary or the Relief Society. She was secretary of their Sunday school for a long time and has been [very] active. They are bringing their children up in the church and he wants them brought up in it. The oldest boy [Lloyd Duff] would still be a teacher. At sixteen [years old] are they a priest? He is probably a priest then. 00:57:00The next boy [Alan Duff] is a teacher, because he is beyond a deacon. In July their [daughter, Roberta Duff,] will turn twelve. They have a wonderful, happy family.

Our next [child] is a son [George Julian Jennings]. His wife [Marion Jennings] and children were just here. They live over [in] Middleton [Washington County, Utah] now. He quit school at Christmas time and was in the [Utah] National Guard. [This was during] World War II. The [Utah] National Guard was supposed to [activate for] service in December, but they didn't [leave] until [the following] March. He went with them [and served] in World War II until it was through.


FH:Where did he serve?

GJ:He went from here to Fort Lewis, Washington. Then he went [to] Camp Robinson [in] Little Rock [Arkansas]. [This] is where he met his wife [Marion] [and] married her there. He called me on the telephone one night and said, "What would you think if I told you I was married?" [Laughter] He said I cried, but I don't remember just what I did say. It was quite a shock to me, anyway. He wasn't 00:59:00there very long after [they] married and he had to go to France. He was in France and Germany and they were on their way to the place they called Hitler's Hideout. They were there when the war stopped. He [was able] to come back home. The girl [who] was just here is a twin. They had twin girls Barbara and Bette Jennings] and they were born while he was gone. He came back, [picked up] his family and came here. They have been here since. [Another daughter, Elaine Jennings, was born in St. George.]

Our youngest child is Richard Carl. He was in college here and [began] working 01:00:00for one of the dentists [who was] starting [his] practice. He taught him to be a dental technician. He did technical work for some of the dentists here for awhile. Then he decided he would go to California and learn more about it. He went there and worked for a dental technician for awhile and [learned] a lot more. He came back home and practiced it for awhile and then decided he would like to be a dentist. So we sent him to dental school [in] San Francisco [California for] four years. He came back here and practiced for six or eight years [and then] moved back to San Francisco.


FH:How many children do they have?

GJ:They have five children [Jeffrey, Bradley, Thadius, Alpine and Julie]. [Edna Lou Jennings is his wife] He had four boys and then a girl. He has a lovely family [and] they will be here the last of next week.

FH:What did you do in the church during your married life? Were you a visiting teacher for thirty years?

GJ:I think I have been a visiting teacher that long, at least. I have always been active in the Relief Society everywhere I lived [when] I could. My husband 01:02:00wasn't active in the church. [In] 1954, or somewhere along there, he decided to [become] active in the church. Frank Holland got hold of him and a few other [fellows] and they [began] teaching [him] through the adult Aaronic Priesthood. [Frank] got these [men] all active in the church. My husband has been a ward teacher for a long time.

FH:He tells me this has been the happiest part of his life.

GJ:I think it really has [been]. I think it has given him more stability that he 01:03:00needed. Wherever we have lived, I have always been active in the church. Nothing ever stopped me. I was always active, to the extent that I could, under the circumstances. When you are living out on farms and various places, you don't always get to do all [that] you should. I have kept in contact with the church all the time. I have never [been] too far away from it to [not] keep in contact.

FH:Have you taken some trips?

GJ:In 1956, we went on [a] bus tour that took us back to the [Hill Cumorah] Pageant at Palmyra, New York. It was a wonderful trip. We really enjoyed it. It was just grand. There were about forty people on [the] bus and we had a 01:04:00wonderful trip. Mr. and Mrs. Losee were conducting the tour. Their son [Dr. Ferron C. Losee] is the president of our [Dixie] College here now. They were wonderful people. We get to see them every now and again. They come here to [visit] their son. We thought we might go on some more trips with them. She is still taking different trips but we never did, only that one [trip]. It was a wonderful [event]. We really enjoyed it. We went to Washington D. C., New York City [New York], Chicago [Illinois] and all those places and it was quite an [event] for us.

FH:Is there anything we have missed that you would like to tell?


GJ:I didn't tell about my teaching, did I? I went to summer school one summer [and] came back here and taught school on a temporary certificate. That is all we could have. I taught two years. I taught second and third grades the first year. The next year I taught third and fourth grades and sixth grade history. I really enjoyed it. It was a wonderful experience for me.

FH:Where [did] you teach?

GJ:I taught in Washington [City]. My younger sister [Ruth] and brother [John "Jack"] were in school here at the same time that I was teaching over there. 01:06:00Lots of times, I would come over here on Friday night and then go back Sunday to school. They both graduated [from school] here. My father always wanted us all to go to school. He didn't get to go to school much himself; neither did my mother. The three older [children] didn't get to go. One sister did go some. From the third [child] down of the nine, we all graduated from high school. My oldest brother [Thomas "Tom"] went on a [LDS] mission to the Southern States and my third oldest sister [Effie] went on a [LDS] mission to the Western States Mission.




GJ:Hazel went on to school and graduated here. My father said, "I want you to go to school and I want you to learn how to figure." That is the way he termed it. He said, "If you don't learn how to figure, somebody else will do your figuring and you will get figured out of a lot of things in this world." I think that is [fairly] good philosophy, don't you? That is the way he told us. He said, "I want you to learn how to figure." He didn't realize how true it was either then, compared to what it would be in this day and age.

FH:It is more complicated now than it ever was.

GJ:More people do the figuring for you. [Laughter]

FH:What would you like to do in the future if you had your choice?

GJ:I would like to spend [the time] seeing my children and their families and 01:09:00being around them. I wouldn't want to have to live with them and be with them all the time. But I would like to be able to [visit] them whenever I would like to and spend some time with each family. I think that would be one of the best things that I could look forward to.

FH:You want to enjoy your kingdom now.

GJ:Yes. We have a [fairly] fine family. At least, that is what I would say [and] I am sure we could enjoy a lot of time with them. The way my husband's health is now, I don't know how much [of that] we are going to get to do.

FH:What would you like to tell your family and those who come after in the way 01:10:00of counsel and advice?

GJ:I think [what] my own father taught us ─ to be honest ─ is one of the biggest [attribute] in anybody's life. I would like to see every one of them be honest in all their dealings and be upright. Be honorable, upright citizens in the communities they live in. They all are, as far as I know. That is what we want them to do and not only do that, but be better all the time. Some of them are not as active in the church as they ought to be. This son, [Julian, who] lives in Middleton is not as active in the church as he really should be, but he 01:11:00is a good man. He is not a drunkard; he is a good man. I think he will eventually settle down and be a better Latter-day Saint. He has a good family and they are all active in the church. He has a daughter [Barbara], one of the twins, [who came] home from England [after] filling a [LDS] mission.

Our oldest son, [Lloyd] Leon, [his] two older sons [Mansfield and John] have both filled [LDS] missions, one in England and the other in the Gulf States Mission. His two daughters are married [and] both of their husbands [Paul and Walter] have filled [LDS] missions. The younger son [Gilbert] will go on a [LDS] mission as soon as he is old enough.


If my children will live the gospel and practice what they preach, they can't help but be good citizens. Our family means so much to us. Sometimes I think my life wouldn't be worth living if we didn't have our family. Our children are all just as good to us as [any] children could be to their parents. They are very attentive and keep in contact with us all the time --